What forces shape the way we think and act? What defines our relationships? With psychology—the intersection of science and the human condition—these answers (and more) can be found.
Why study psychology at Sewanee?
Psychology is an ever-growing field that explores the biological and social underpinnings of human thought. With roots in metaphysical and clinical practice, psychology is able to give you a better understanding of yourself, the people around you, and the dynamics of human relationships.
The study of psychology at Sewanee offers multiple perspectives and research methods that will equip you with the foundational knowledge to then narrow your area of study. Once you adopt a focus that’s suited to your specific interests, the curriculum becomes customizable. Upper-level courses include in-depth exploration of specific topics like behavior modification, cognitive illusions, psychology of gender, and animal behavior, among many others. The skills acquired in this program will increase your awareness and sharpen your ability to analyze complex topics.
FIRST DESTINATIONS: Psychology MAJORS
Sewanee graduates secure positions in a variety of fields. Some you would expect, others, are a bit of a surprise. Sewanee prepares you for your profession and your passion. Below is a sampling of recent graduates' first job.
- Global Leadership and Development Intern, Cognizant Technology Solution, Norfolk, VA.
- Research Assistant, Anxiety and Health Research Laboratory/ Substance Use Treatment Clinic, Houston, TX.
- Therapeutic Riding Instructor, ManeGait Therapeutic Horsemanship, McKinney, TX.
GRADUATE SCHOOL & PREPROFESSIONAL PROGRAMS: Psychology MAJORS
Sewanee graduates enjoy extraordinary acceptance rates to top graduate and preprofessional programs–about 95 percent to law school and over 85 percent to medical school. Below is a sampling of where Sewanee grads continue their education.
- M.Ed. in Clinical Psychology, Vanderbilt University.
- M.S.W. in Social Work, University of Chicago.
- MD/MPH, St. George's University, Grenada.