Art asks us to focus on technical, aesthetic, and critical themes. It invokes response, recalls emotions, draws on memory, and encourages us to act. When we exhibit ourselves through creativity, we incite motion in the mind and soul.
Why study Art at Sewanee?
At Sewanee, you’ll have the opportunity to choose from six different disciplines in the art program: digital arts, drawing, painting, photography, sculpture, and video. Study documentary, motion, color, material, landscape, and much more.
As an art student at Sewanee, you’ll finish the major with a comprehensive examination that includes the preparation and presentation of a portfolio, participation in a senior exhibition, writing a thesis paper, and undergoing a defense of the portfolio and thesis.
First Destinations: Art Majors
Sewanee graduates secure positions in a variety of fields. Some you would expect, others, are a bit of a surprise. Sewanee prepares you for your profession and your passion. Below is a sampling of recent graduates' first job.
- Therapeutic Childhood Specialist, Helping Hands Home for Children, Austin, TX.
- Editorial Assistant, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
- Director of Advanced Media, South Kent School, South Kent, CT.
GRADUATE SCHOOL & PREPROFESSIONAL PROGRAMS: ART MAJORS
Sewanee graduates enjoy extraordinary acceptance rates to top graduate and preprofessional programs–about 95 percent to law school and over 85 percent to medical school. Below is a sampling of where Sewanee grads continue their education.
- M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Seminary of the Southwest.
- J.D. Samford University Cumberland School of Law.